Full Time | Permanent | Aberbeeg, South Wales
Blackwood Engineering Limited is a dynamic, fast growing family business with over 75 years’ experience.
We are a global supplier of high-quality castings and counterweights, manufactured in China and India. Our castings are supplied to our customers in a broad range of industries, including materials handling, industrial and construction equipment.
From our UK and mainland Europe locations, we offer first class logistics service and project engineering support to our global customers.
We are looking for an experienced Commercial Manager to join our team. The primary purpose of the role is to drive and enhance the company’s commercial interests, particularly in China. This will require development of our supplier partnerships, including managing major investment projects of up to RMB10m and building new relationships with Chinese companies. It is essential to ensure the business has a strong and diverse supplier base to meet its current and future needs.
- Establish joint venture partnerships with our Chinese suppliers
- Manage company investments in our Chinese suppliers
- Work with suppliers to develop new products to drive company growth and market share
- Identify and develop new customers and revenue channels for the company
- Research new developments in the industry to take advantage of new opportunities
- Implement new technologies so the company can maintain its competitive advantage
- Financial management of China projects, ensuring we meet budgets
- Develop the company’s long-term procurement plan;
- Set and influence corporate strategies to help execute supplier strategy to align with the company’s overall strategy
- Work with the HR team to develop relevant processes and guidance relating to establishment with the suppliers in the joint ventures
- Recruit and manage employers in the joint ventures, provide line management, monitoring their daily jobs;
- In charge of the manufacturing, staff management, business administration, business development, project management and budgetary control on an organisational management scale in the joint ventures
- Contribute to the wider international strategy development as part of the extended senior management team. Also contribute to the development of international collaborations within and across the UK in collaboration with the General Director.
- Negotiate contracts with suppliers, support and monitor the suppliers to prepare legal documentations and liaise with local government for the joint ventures
- Responsible for developing relationships with relevant international organisations, including activities such as: developing the business strategy with suppliers, having senior level membership of committees and working groups
- Managing visits to China foundries, present company strategy, business developments and opportunities; be responsible for the international projects and marketing events, both within and outside UK.
- Liaising with supply colleagues in China to ensure suppliers are being managed correctly
- Develop new and nurture existing relationships with suppliers
- Work with cross-functional teams in the UK and Asia to monitor supplier performance and drive improvements
- Working in partnership with internal and external stakeholders in the UK, including legal, sales team to provide support for manufacturing and business
- Reporting to Managing Director
- Based in the UK, travel to China where necessary for business need
- Chinese speaking (Mandarin & Cantonese)
- Minimum 8 years senior management experience in multinational enterprises
- Multi-functional team management experience both in the UK and China
- Degree qualifications, minimum undergraduate and preferably MBA or Masters
- Experience of using ERP, CRM systems
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc.)
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Good numeracy skills
- Strong communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Engineering background preferred